Tedenby, Gelinas score in Devils' win over Rangers
- 'Canes C Staal has sports hernia surgery
- Jets, Frolik agree to 1-year, $3.3M deal
- Wild re-sign Fontaine to 2-year contract
- Wings, Tatar agree on 3-yr., $8.25M deal
- Leafs, C Winnik agree to 1 year, $1.3M
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Mattias Tedenby scored in the first period, and Eric Gelinas added a goal in the third to lead the New Jersey Devils to a 2-1 victory over the New York Rangers on Monday night in the preseason opener for both teams.
Tedenby, fighting for a spot on the roster, scored 10:20 into the game off a fine pass from Rostislav Olesz. Gelinas fired in a hard slap shot 31 seconds into the third to make it 2-0.
New York's Dominic Moore, making a return to hockey after taking a year off, scored on a backhander with 15:01 left.
Cory Schneider made his Devils debut and stopped all 22 shots he faced while playing the first two periods.
Henrik Lundqvist allowed one goal and made 15 saves in 30 minutes of action for the Rangers.
Updated September 16, 2013