Dodgers acquire 2B Barney in trade with Cubs
- Royals, Giants rested for Series opener
- Bumgarner, Shields square off in Game 1
- Bullpen keys Giants' run to World Series
- Finnegan goes from CWS to World Series
- Korean Royals superfan to attend Series
LOS ANGELES (AP) The Los Angeles Dodgers have acquired second baseman Darwin Barney in a trade with the Chicago Cubs.
Barney won a Gold Glove in 2012 after tying the major league single-season record with 141 consecutive errorless games. But he was designated for assignment last Tuesday after hitting .230 with 16 RBIs in 72 games this season.
The last-place Cubs sent Barney and cash to NL West-leading Los Angeles for a player to be named. The trade was announced on Monday.
Barney, who turns 29 in November, is a .244 career hitter with 18 homers and 146 RBIs in 542 games.
Updated July 28, 2014