Cardinals put RHP Kelly on DL with hurt hamstring
- Royals, Giants rested for Series opener
- Bumgarner, Shields square off in Game 1
- Bullpen keys Giants' run to World Series
- Finnegan goes from CWS to World Series
- Injuries to Wainwright, Wacha minor
WASHINGTON (AP) St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Joe Kelly has been put on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
The Cardinals also optioned righty reliever Keith Butler to Triple-A Memphis and recalled rookie right-handers Eric Fornataro and Jorge Rondon from Memphis before Thursday's game at the Washington Nationals. Neither Fornataro nor Rondon has ever appeared in a major league game.
Kelly got hurt while trying to beat out a bunt attempt in the fourth inning of the Cardinals' 5-1 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday. He is 1-1 with a 0.59 ERA in three starts this season.
Updated April 17, 2014