Myers put on DL; Nieve recalled from Columbus
- Yankees shut out Cubs in doubleheader
- Teheran 3-hits Phillies, Braves win 1-0
- Reds' Cueto blanks Pirates for first win
- Peralta helps Brewers thwart Cards sweep
- Werth's HR helps Nats rally past Marlins
HOUSTON (AP) The Cleveland Indians have placed starter Brett Myers on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation in his right elbow.
The move is retroactive to Saturday, and they selected the contract of right-hander Fernando Nieve from Triple-A Columbus to take his spot on the roster.
Myers was scheduled to fly back to Cleveland on Sunday for tests on his elbow. Manager Terry Francona says the Indians knew he wouldn't be able to make his next start and needed another pitcher in the bullpen.
Myers is 0-3 with an 8.02 ERA in three starts and one relief appearances this season, allowing an MLB-high 10 homers.
Right-hander Corey Kluber will start in place of Myers on Wednesday against the White Sox.
Updated April 21, 2013