Nieuwenhuis' HR caps 4-run 9th, Mets startle Cubs
- O's won't sign Balfour due to physical
- Patton banned 25 games for positive test
- Yanks introduce Beltran, fan growing up
- Arizona, Ziegler agree to 2 yrs., $10.5M
- Youkilis signs to play in Japan
By RICK FREEMAN
NEW YORK (AP) Kirk Nieuwenhuis hit a three-run homer that capped a four-run rally in the bottom of the ninth inning and the New York Mets salvaged what had been shaping up as another sorry afternoon, startling the Chicago Cubs 4-3 on Sunday.
Matt Garza pitched seven scoreless innings and the Cubs scored twice on a madcap play that featured three bad throws by Mets infielders, giving Chicago a 3-0 lead.
But New York came back against Carlos Marmol (2-4)in the ninth, starting with Marlon Byrd's leadoff home run. Nieuwenhuis connected with one out.
Bobby Parnell (5-3) pitched the top of the ninth.
Updated June 16, 2013