UNC WIlmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts
- Williams: 'Very sad time' after probe
- Judge halts NJ sports betting plan
- UConn, Hoyas renew rivalry in 2016, '17
- South Carolina G Blanton has hip surgery
- UNC wins exhibition opener by 53
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) UNC Wilmington has hired Louisville assistant Kevin Keatts as its men's basketball coach.
The school said Thursday that Keatts will take over after the Cardinals' season ends. Louisville plays Kentucky on Friday night in a Midwest Regional semifinal.
Athletic director Kenny Bass calls Keatts "one of the top young basketball coaches in the country."
The 41-year-old is in his third year on Rick Pitino's staff and before that was Hargrave Military Academy's coach.
He replaces Buzz Peterson, who was fired earlier this month following his fourth straight losing season with the Seahawks. They were 9-23 this season and 3-13 in the Colonial Athletic Association.
Updated March 27, 2014