UNC WIlmington hires Louisville assistant Keatts
- Kentucky No. 1, Kansas tumbles in Top 25
- Gators' Carter, Finney-Smith likely out
- Tarkanian ready to leave Vegas hospital
- No. 1 Kentucky rips Montana State 86-28
- WVU beats UConn for Puerto Rico title
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) UNC Wilmington has hired Louisville assistant Kevin Keatts as its men's basketball coach.
The school said Thursday that Keatts will take over after the Cardinals' season ends. Louisville plays Kentucky on Friday night in a Midwest Regional semifinal.
Athletic director Kenny Bass calls Keatts "one of the top young basketball coaches in the country."
The 41-year-old is in his third year on Rick Pitino's staff and before that was Hargrave Military Academy's coach.
He replaces Buzz Peterson, who was fired earlier this month following his fourth straight losing season with the Seahawks. They were 9-23 this season and 3-13 in the Colonial Athletic Association.
Updated March 27, 2014